If you are a foreigner who wants to become a taxi driver in Finland, there are certain steps you must follow and requirements you must meet. Here are the steps to become a taxi driver in Finland as a foreigner:
- Obtain a residence permit: As a foreigner, you will need a valid residence permit to work in Finland. You can apply for a residence permit at the Finnish embassy or consulate in your home country.
- Get a Finnish driver’s license: To drive a taxi in Finland, you will need a valid Finnish driver’s license. If you already have a driver’s license from another EU/EEA country, you can exchange it for a Finnish driver’s license without taking a test. If you are from a non-EU/EEA country, you may need to take a driving test in Finland to obtain a Finnish driver’s license.
- Register for a taxi driver’s license: To work as a taxi driver in Finland, you will need to register for a taxi driver’s license with the local police department. You will need to provide proof of identity, a valid driver’s license, and proof of language proficiency in Finnish, Swedish, or English.
- Get a taxi license: You will need to obtain a taxi license from the local authorities in the city where you plan to work. The license will allow you to use a vehicle for commercial purposes, and it will specify the type of vehicle you can use as a taxi.
- Purchase or lease a vehicle: You will need to have access to a vehicle that meets the requirements for a taxi in Finland. The vehicle must be in good condition, equipped with a taximeter, and have a taxi sign on the roof.
- Pass a medical examination: You will need to pass a medical examination to ensure you are physically fit to drive a taxi in Finland.
- Pass a background check: You will need to pass a criminal background check to obtain a taxi driver’s license in Finland.
Once you have met all the requirements, you can start working as a taxi driver in Finland. It’s important to note that the taxi industry in Finland is highly regulated, and there are strict rules and regulations that you must follow to operate as a taxi driver. It’s recommended that you consult with legal and financial professionals to ensure you comply with all legal and regulatory requirements.